Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Cancer Update #7

It's been a few weeks since my last update. I've actually been doing very well. My 3rd cycle was the best one I've had yet. I hardly got sick. We think we figured out a way to keep the nausea away for the most part. Fluid, lots of fluid. I get a couple liters at the doctor's office and then a couple liters at home each night. All of it through my IV port. I'm on my last cycle now and we are doing the same thing again. It seems to be working again. Except that I'm so loaded with fluid I'm gaining weight from retaining a certain amount of it. You can call me marshmallow. I can't wait to lose it once this stuff is over.

How's this for irony? My last day of treatment will be April 1st. Better known as April Fools Day. I thought that was pretty funny. Anyways, I got my latest blood work back on Monday and it was pretty awesome. My AFP level that I've mentioned before is down to 11. Which is in the normal range for the average person. My other marker was drastically reduced as well and showed me as normal. I guess that means that the cancer is dead. Hopefully any dead tissue that is now left will make it's way out of my body so that I don't need a surgery for that. I really don't want that surgery. It's risky and I certainly don't want a giant scar splitting me from crotch to chest.

Well, the battle is almost over. It's been crazy and I'm really glad that my body has responded well to the treatment. It's not often that people beat cancer. I'll be playing the waiting game after April 1st for a year or so. Waiting to see if the cancer comes back (there's an 80% chance that it won't and I know it won't anyways) and waiting to see if my fertility comes back. I'm really hoping for that one. I've got some scars from the surgeries and I'm starting to get what's called chemo burns. Little dark spots on my hands and feet that are caused by the chemotherapy drugs causing internal damage. They look like healed burns. Aside from those things you'll never know I had cancer. My hair will grow back soon and I can't wait for that. I'm sick of looking like Powder (look up the movie if you don't know what I'm talking about). I get to go back to work full time and take school full time in the summer. I've got a few vacations planned that I'm excited for.

Thanks for all the support. My parents, Karen, and I have really appreciated all the love and kindness that has been shown to us throughout this crazy thing.

Love, Sean

3 comments:

Unknown said...

We feel many prayers have been answered in your behalf. We are so happy for you and your family.

Love, Aunt

Englishfam said...

I am so glad to hear that your body is responding to the chemo. You are so strong, I am so proud of you for your positive attitude about this whole situation.
p.s. I think Powder is totally hot, I don't know what you're talking about!

Anonymous said...

You ARE such an inspiration to me and alot of other people. You have been so positive through all of this. Thank God you've been blessed with so many wonderful family members, friends and Karen (your angel)...Thank you Kathy and Jeff for being such wonderful parents. I know this has been awful to watch your own child go through something so horrible. BUT HE IS A FIGHTER!!!
We all love you, Aunt Laura and family